HSE Student Project Topic: Short-term variability of stratification in a shallow pond
- hochgeladen 8. April 2023
- Deep lakes of the temperate climate zone are known for their seasonal stratification.
- Shallow lakes can show vertical temperature (T) gradients on short time scales.
- Can the T gradient of a 2m shallow pond develop the typical 3 layers?
- Does the temperature gradient lead to temporal pH and O2 gradients?
- Which meteorological conditions control stratification and mixing?
Methods and Tasks
- Analyze automatic sensor data from an experimental pond.
- Perform regular measurements with a CTD probe (2 weeks, 2-3 times a day).
- Analysis and interpretation of meteorological and hydrophysical data.
- Visualize and interprete results and compare it with international literature.
- Understanding of hydrophysical and limnological mechanisms
- Excellent R skills, creativity and autodidactic abilities
- Options: skilled craftmanship, electronics, Arduino C++ programming